Skip to main content

By Isabelle | Our very short getaway to Gloucester

Hi aunties and uncles!  It's me writing again.  My mommy received some lovely messages since the last I wrote and she thinks I should write another post.  I'll try my best to write more but as you know, I'm quite busy attending nursery and going to aunt Vanessa's place.  Only have weekends free!

Adventure in Gloucester


Two weekends ago, my mommy told me that we were going to travel a long distance to visit aunt Gabby, uncle Ben and Bella jie-jie.  I heard from mommy they have now moved out of London and is in a faraway place called Gloucester ("Glos-ter"), about 3h away.  I haven't been to any road trip within the UK and so I didn't quite know how it would feel like, sitting in the car for so long.  When mommy picked me up at 6pm from aunt Vanessa's place that Friday night, we rushed home and daddy fed me dinner.  Then mommy rushed about the house packing a little luggage for us.  It turns out daddy decided to set off late Friday night to beat the traffic.  Finally about 830pm which was past my bedtime btw, they carried me in my PJs, and put me in my car seat.  My eyes were big and worried; I was not quite sure I'm liking this.

Daddy drove the first part of the journey and mommy sat behind with me and even held my hand.  I think they were laughing at how big and worried my eyes were.  I mean, this is definitely outside of my bedtime routine!  The roads were dark and a bit scary.  I didn't feel safe closing my eyes at all.  I was on the edge of my car seat!  After about an hour, I heard the adults mention McDonalds.  Daddy stopped by this huge building and we all went out of the car for a while.  There were people walking about and this place looks like a food court.  Soon daddy bought the fries and apple pie - these two items on the menu are always their favs.  It was close to 10pm by then, and not only was I wide awake, I was busy chomping down French fries with them too.  Wow what an adventure already!

Mommy took over the wheel from then on and the journey was really long.  I'm not sure when I finally fell asleep.  By the time we arrived at aunt Gabby and uncle Ben's place, it was close to midnight.  I was awaken by daddy who tried to carry me out of the car seat.  This whole place looked so unfamiliar.  And who are these two unfamilar adults who were smiling at me?  I was very disoriented and started to cry.  Loudly.  Finally the adults settled down and I was lying in bed between mommy and daddy.  Mmm.. I feel safe enough to sleep finally.  One thing though, I don't really like sharing my bed with anyone else.  I need my space.  I toss and turn, sit up and lie down to find my comfy position.  Many times it involves kicking too.  I think they both didn't sleep well that night.  As usual, I woke up promptly at 730am and kept bouncing on mommy to wake her up.  Daddy was still soundly asleep and didn't even move no matter how much noise I was making.  Finally mommy decided to bring me out of the room to let daddy sleep more.

That was when I saw aunt Gabby again and this time Bella jie-jie was awake and looked at me wondering who I was.  Both moms did some introductions and soon uncle Ben came in too, and asked how we slept last night.  "Great, thanks!"  (Of course it came out in my baby language).  This house they live in is a beautiful bungalow (ie single storey house) and they have a beautiful garden too.  I love Bella's slide right in the middle of it.

On the slide
I love Bella Jie-jie's room esp her toy kitchen!

I heard the adults discussing about visiting a farm nearby in the Cotswolds.  It was a beautiful and sunny day.  We played in the garden while they finished up breakfast.  And then off we went!  To Cotwolds Farm Park, about 30min away.

Getting ready to leave the house

This place is huge!  So many animals!  We walked around and saw sheep, chickens, goats, pigs, cows... all the farm animals you can think of.  There were some kids play areas too, and wow I even drove a baby tractor which was so fun!  We also went into the lambing barn, where many ewes were in the process of giving birth, or had just given birth and were recovering with their little babies.  Daddy got a bit bored waiting and so brought me to the play area to check it out.

I'll share some pictures below and you see what I mean by how fun this place was!





Lunch was meh

Milking the fake cow 





Who can go faster?

Serious tractor driver

In the lambing shed


We stayed there for a few hours and had lunch there before leaving about 3pm.  By then I was exhausted as I skipped my morning nap and so I fell asleep in the car.  It was funny.  Both daddies were tired too and also went back to nap.  The two moms were sat chatting while Bella jie-jie was busy playing by herself.  I felt so much better after I woke up.  By this time, I wasn't shy anymore and played with Bella.




For dinner we went to a local pub called the Cheese Rollers Inn, and I had my own baked pasta.  I heard uncle Ben asking daddy if we want to stay for another night but sadly as daddy had work to do at home, he had to say no.  Which meant that we set off for London after that late dinner.  We left about 1030pm can you believe it?  Even the waitress was surprised and told daddy to drive safely please.


A fun fact for you!  According to uncle Ben who grew up in Gloucester, this area is famous for their sausages and cheese.  In fact, every Spring there is a Gloucester Spring cheese rolling event.  This activity dates all the way back to the 1800s.  Contestants run after a big piece of cheese down a very steep hill.  No surprise on what the prize is - that piece of 8lb Gloucester cheese!  The pub we ate at that night was called the Cheese Rollers Inn, and apparently people pop by for a drink after the cheese rolling event.  You can read more here:
https://www.soglos.com/sport-outdoor/27837/Gloucestershire-Cheese-Rolling


We arrived back home about 1am that Sunday morning.  Mommy carried me to my bed and mmm it felt so familiar with my smell and all, I just continued sleeping till daybreak.  In my outside clothes oops.

And this is our little short adventure to Gloucester!  I hope we can go back again and stay longer the next time!

Comments

Doreen said…
Thanks Isabelle for writing.
It’s good to keep us updated on your development and your outings.
it’s your first long trip out and you behaved well.
I am sure you enjoyed your holiday
at uncle Ben n aunt Gabby’s home and at the farm too.
Love the nice photos you share too.
Love you😘😘😘

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f