Skip to main content

Self-care | Me time

You might wonder how I am spending most of my time these days since coming back from Singapore, and with an ever growing belly.

I felt the true impact of how life would be alone with Izzy when K's dad left.  I had to start cooking meals again after such a long time (dating back to before our SG trip), drop Isabelle to the childminder's and picking her up in the evening for 3 days a week.  Housework, house admin duties call, not to mention our gutters were clogged up once more, and a part was leaking.  We were also trying to find the source of a mysterious leak outside our house which had been going on for about two weeks.  Damp walls are always a worry because you don't want wet and damaged walls.  I also had to look for a new gardener to help us maintain our garden because the last one we had simply disappeared during our time in Singapore.  And it didn't help that K was putting in long hours at work and it felt like I was shouldering the entire household and child responsibility on my shoulders.  Honestly it felt a bit too much to bear.  Especially I have been feeling extreme tiredness for most part of this entire pregnancy.

Needless to say, with the burden I was feeling, coupled with pregnancy hormones, I wasn't in a good place psychologically.  In times like this, I thank God for good friends who are a Facetime/ call away.  I spoke to two girl friends separately who gave me good advice and prayed with me over the phone.  They each have their own burdens to bear, and while we can lament together about our mom and house duties, we all understand and can encourage one another.  I always laugh when another mom friend always reply me with "sigh.. adulting." Adulting/ mom life is tough!

Both my girlfriends asked me the same thing - What did you enjoy doing before Isabelle?  Can you set aside some time each week to prioritise yourself over the never ending housework?  Look after yourself first, they encouraged me.  Well I guess I could... I always fill my time while Isabelle is at the childminder's with house or groceries duties.  They advised me to slow down and have some me-time.  Because once the new baby comes, it will all be another round of craziness again.  This is probably the best time to spend it on myself.  And they advised me delegating some work to our cleaner (laundry perhaps?) and also asking K to help out more on weekends if possible.


Opened my first craft box and these are the contents

I've always loved crafting and a few months ago, I started subscribing to this craft box on a bi-monthly basis.  I was captivated by one of their crafts and started my subscription.  Naturally, these things seem so good in my head, but having the time to sit down and do it?  Nah.  So I had 3 boxes sitting in the corner of my kitchen waiting to be opened by the time grandpa Ong left.  I took my friends' advise and opened the latest box, which was on watercolour painting.  In it, they provided a small water colour palette, painting notebook and step by step instructions, so a novice like me could paint something decent.  I thought it would be a therapeutic thing to do and so I started... and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I started in September and even though it's not an everyday thing, I try to paint once a week or once every two weeks in my painting notebook.


Sketching step by step of this girl in a chunky knitwear, holding a mug of tea

The finished painting

I enjoyed it a lot and painted another version, this time round with a flowery wreath around her and with my initial B

You could say this particular craft box has opened to me a new world of watercolour painting.  This box was a collaboration with a water colour artist based in London called Emma Block.  And so I googled her and ended up buying her published book, The Joy of Watercolor.  I was so excited when it arrived, because it contained so many paintings with step by step instructions, from Easy to Advanced levels.  For my second painting, I chose this bouquet of flowers and this was my little artwork for my second week of self care.

My second piece of water colour painting

A closer look

My third painting was one of antique vases:

This piece was to practice on thin brushstrokes 

And my fourth was of ice cream and ice lollies, despite the cold weather we were having here.

This piece was to practice colour blending

And then I kinda stopped.  I kept all my painting materials and almost forgot about it until K reminded me one evening.  He saw the book and asked if my hobby is over.  "Of course not" I replied.  "Choose one painting for me and I'll paint it for you next week." I said.  My fifth painting was therefore one of autumnal flowers.

What do you think?  The colours turned out darker than I expected.

I've just started looking at Youtube videos too, to get more ideas.  I found this Canadian lady who paints so well and does such good videos that I got really inspired by her.  So last Friday I sat down and painted and painted.  By the time I looked up, I realised I didn't have much time to rest before I had to pick Isabelle up.  I was tired but I felt so happy that I managed to paint that day.  You know what?  The laundry can wait.  The cleaning can wait.  I am so glad for my me-time, even if its just two hours a week.  It's soul refreshing.

Flowers

Herbs

Leaves

I painted this after dinner last Friday.  K was watching the TV and I was next to him painting.
Isabelle was asleep by then and it was so nice and peaceful in the house, with each of us doing what we enjoy.


What about you?  What do you enjoy doing?  I strongly encourage you to start small, and spend one or two hours a week doing it.  You will feel the difference, I promise.

Comments

Doreen said…
Nice painting, Bel.
Good! Keep it up!
Ya me-time is so important for everyone

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f