Skip to main content

Presenting our little prince....

We welcomed our second Christmas baby - yes second! - on Christmas Eve.  Only Jesus could orchestrate this, what are the chances of having not one, but two Christmas babies is beyond our comprehension.  K and I both see it as very special, so yes these are very special babies in our eyes.

Presenting.... Gabriel Isaac Ong


This time round it was an elective c-section, and so everything happened in a calm and orderly fashion.  With Isabelle, I had an emergency c-section and everything was a blur.  For Gabriel, we had to go to the hospital the Friday before for a pre-op assessment where they took my blood, took some swabs to test for certain bacteria on my skin and went through the reporting time on the day itself.  Initially I was offered the c-sect on either 24th or 27th December.  After some discussion with K, we decided to go for 24th so the siblings have consecutive birthdays.  24th just seems more special than 27th!  

The midwife asked us to report to the hospital at 730am on the 24th.  There was meant to be 4 elective c-sections that day, and the consultants would decide the order on the day itself.  Any emergency c-sects would go before us, and we were told there were two theatres in the maternity ward.  It was nerve wrecking, I won't lie.  I was asked to fast from 2am and so I set my alarm to wake at 130am to have my last snack.  I think I probably slept 3h that night so come 6am when it was time to wake up, I felt like a zombie.  It was barely bright when we left for the hospital and kissed Isabelle goodbye, putting her in the care of our nanny.

At the hospital, we were greeted by a friendly midwife who told me she's been assigned to me.  We were ushered to the waiting bay and she explained the entire procedure to us, and we were to be seen by the consultant and anaesthetist shortly.  The entire team were friendly and made us feel comfortable.  Everyone was cheery as it was Christmas Eve.  The view of the Houses of Parliament in the distance was beautiful.  The ward was calm and there was only me and another mum.  Apparently the other 2 mums gave birth naturally over the weekend!

The view from the waiting room

From then on, it was just about waiting for my turn.  We waited and waited, and I got really thirsty.  I was told I was second in line so I'd better not drink any water.  Finally at 11ish the ward received a call saying they were ready for me.. eek!

I shall spare you the details but close to 1pm, we heard the wail of a baby.  Our baby boy has arrived! That was one whoosh overwhelming moment when everyone shouted Congratulations and I could see him being lifted up - our Christmas present.  What an emotional moment that was.

Meeting for the first time in the hospital

My First Christmas - onesie which once belonged to Isabelle


-------

It's been coming to two weeks now having baby Gabriel in the house.  He's quite an angel, sleeping peacefully most of the time, and waking up to feed or when he has a soiled nappy.  A similar trait to his sister would include having not much patience in waiting for his milk.  If I could translate his wail, it would be "Gimme, gimme gimme.  I want my milk now!".




Isabelle has been a doting elder sister so far, giving baby brother kisses and caressing his forehead gently.  Just yesterday we allowed her to carry him on her lap and she was so happy.  After that all she wanted to do is to "carry baby brother".  I don't think she still understands the who concept of a baby brother, or that baby brother is here to stay.  It will probably take a few weeks for her little reality to sink in.





We are still trying to figure out the rhythm as a family of 4.  It is not easy, as Isabelle is still only a toddler plus tantrums in tow, it can be very testing on our patience.  We just have to take each day as it comes.  Very thankful we have a temporary nanny now to help out, so once she leaves, I think it's gonna get doubly hard.

Being a mum all over again has been pretty emotional and there are so many times I wish I have a mum I can look up to, for tips and just for nuggets of wisdom to share.  But until I see her on the other side of heaven in eternity, I am glad for mummy friends who encourage and are a call away.  These are my friends who can raise multiple kids without any help, and I really look up to them.  How do they do it?  They are to me, real gungho mums, and I can only pray that God would grace me to be one too.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f