Skip to main content

Our Stay at Home (SHN) Diaries - Part 1

This is way, way overdue, but I thought it’s appropriate to document down this unique experience that we had, once we landed in Singapore in early April.  SHNs are still happening so this is still current lol.  I use the words ‘unique experience’ because I don’t think we would ever experience that again, and god forbid, another pandemic in my lifetime - no thanks.  But before you assume it is all easy peasy, please keep in mind I had a 3 month old baby and a 2 year old toddler all by myself in the room!  When we finally emerged from that hotel room on day 14, I wanted to do a fist pump and pat myself hugely on the back.



Bel’s version of accounts - Part 1

Day 0 - 31 Mar
Arrival to Changi and we saw an army of officers on the ground waiting for us.  Talk about feeling special.
We declared our phlegmy coughs and got sent to see the onsite doctor.  Lots of paperwork.  We expected to get swabbed but didn’t as we understood the labs were overwhelmed.  We were told to report any symptoms and they will assign us to.a swab test.
We were assigned an ICA officer to be with us all the way to our hotel.  When we heard it was Conrad, it was a huge sigh of relief.  We were told that the Ministry of Transport had allocated us a maxi cab as I was the only one who travelled in with kids.  Woohoo, special treatment!
Settled into hotel 9+pm with many unread WhatsApp messages from concerned family and friends
Check in was super organised.  They granted my request to have connecting rooms with Rachel - hallelujah!
We were given instructions and a menu list for us to choose our food for the next 14 days.  Talk about efficiency.  Very impressed by this time.
Rachel and I decided to power thru with the disinfecting - luggage first, then kids (bath), then us adults.  Finally we could sit down comfortably to have a late dinner And call our families.
My sis in law also very kindly and efficiently dropped off a steriliser, nappies and other essentials for us.
We need to start taking our temperatures twice a day for the next 14 days.





Everyone marvelled at our luxurious rooms and food.
Breakfast excitement as we shared photos with friends and family, which I bet some got forwarded because we were the first few groups to be assigned hotels for our SHN
Rachel suggested unpacking and making use of all the storage space in the room since we are gonna be here for a while.  Might as well make it homely.
Izzy practiced some baby ballet.  She keeps asking us about the very inviting looking swimming pool below.  “No swimming, its closed” she repeated after me.
Rachel worked.  We ate together in her room at mealtimes.
Gabriel slept a lot as usual
My friend Corinne dropped off a bag for us at the concierge
Rachel’s family dropped off toys for Isabelle at the concierge
So much love

Rise and shine


Still excited at our food.  No cooking for this mama - better enjoy whilst it lasts
Getting used to the mode of communication with hotel via baskets outside our rooms
Food portions are big - we wondered if anyone else in the hotel felt the same way
My friend Cindy dropped off a bag for us at the concierge with summer clothing for Gabriel and some happy snacks for us
Take temperature!
Ok, I think I forgot I need to battle Isabelle’s jetlag
She didn’t want to sleep until 10pm
Woke up around 1am and refused to sleep until 4am
Reduced mummy to tears while calling daddy in the wee hours of the night 

Dinner

Izzy enjoying her meal


Had a v late breakfast thanks to Isabelle’s jetlag
Before I knew it lunch was served
Did a video call with mummy’s friend Marketa.
Sneezed a couple of times and started to get paranoid. Took temperatures and all ok
Today is laundry day - mental note to leave bag outside the room. It’s also the day they give us new towels, toilet rolls and tissues.
PM Lee gave a speech at 4pm - lockdown next week!
Dozed off listening to the press conference after
Meant to FaceTime Becky and Tegan bit didn’t manage to.
Did sticker book with Isabelle 
Got Izzy to sleep at 815pm; woke up at 10pm and refused to sleep until 3am
Reduced mummy to tears. Called daddy crying once again. Mummy is going into a nightly depression if this continues.

Our mode of communication with the hotel via the individual baskets outside each room

Woke Isabelle up at 1130am. Whatever helps. Jetlag is such a pain in the a**.
Had a few brief bites of breakfast before lunch was served. Today was buttermilk friend chicken burger. Again a big portion. More Kagi chocolate wafer snacks. Our stash is building up. So are our apples. And jars of jam and honey.
Realised our laundry came back blue. What? 
And my Amazon Firestick didn’t work either. Another big boo.
We discussed about where to stay after 14 days. Bit worried about staying with grandma but that’s where my family help is. And I really need help with two kids.
Rachel kindly looked after Isabelle for a couple of hours while I could get some peace and rest. Took a quick nap. Savouring my semi new-time.
Tonight I felt more relaxed knowing it’s gonna be another late night. I think I managed my own expectations.  Lights off at 1am. Izzy kept moving about and finally slept about 2am. Mental note: shift things earlier by an hour tomorrow.



A nice surprise


Woke up at 1130am with disrupted sleep throughout the night as usual
Missed breakfast of mee goreng as lunch was going to be served not long after
Received a door visitation from ICA. Two officers came and wanted to check in on us. 
Not long after I received a call from another ICA officer asking to convert our call to a video call to check we are at the hotel. Such an overkill! I was so mad and told him the officers just left our hotel room. He said he had no idea. Then he even wanted to take photos of us and obtain our proof of identification. I told him I feel like a fugitive. I had a go at him and said the teams need to talk to each other because somehow our names are being duplicated on the call and visit lists.  “You guys need a better pivot table!” I yelled into the phone because Gabriel’s cries in the background were getting louder and louder.
Isabelle played in the bath in the afternoon. She loved it and I loved it because that allowed me to have some peace.
Dinner was briyani which I didn’t exactly enjoy.
Bedtime was 1am. Slight improvement.



Breakfast was chwee kueh and two mini curry puffs which I enjoyed. Lunch was good too - fried rice with prawns and tofu in egg white gravy. Izzy didn’t eat much proper food today. Today was also the first day of the circuit breaker so everywhere outside was dead. Not that we could feel it anyway. No ICA officers today but again received a video call.
Afternoon mostly was trying to get Izzy to nap whilst I was dozing off myself.
Gabriel napped well as usual- 3-7pm
Dinner was good - fried fish in caper sauce with Cous cous. Chocolate brownie was yummy.
Had my first zoom call with my bunch of girlfriends and it was so much fun! Saw all the kids and we had a great time catching up. We said we will do this more often.
Gabriel was v unsettled at night. Watched the live Covid press conference on Sky News; BoJo is in intensive care. I hope he pulls through
Bedtime 1am again. No improvement from last night :(
Tomorrow and we will be halfway there. Rachel was commenting time passes by pretty quickly here. We are all getting comfortable and Used to the daily routine.

Breakfast

Lunch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f