Skip to main content

Our Stay at Home (SHN) Diaries - Part 2

Hey guys, I hope you have enjoyed reading part 1 and are looking forward to part 2.  I’ve tried to condense it, keep it real, make it interesting and took out some of the mundane stuff like things I did to keep Isabelle occupied (mostly screen time, really). I had to pump milk every 4h so that always takes up time.  I’ve also took out the parts where I was about to pull out my hair because of two fussing kids, or the part where I had to keep getting Isabelle to eat her meals.  Or getting her to nap which is always a challenge, especially when battling jet lag.


Day 7 - 7 Apr
Got woken up by ICA’s call to spot check on us again. Sigh
It was a slow day today. The hotel delivered the sheets but I was too lazy to change them. 


Day 8 - 8 Apr
I changed my sheets today! Wow it really is not easy being a chambermaid. So difficult, it felt like a workout. It so happened I was in gym wear so it was a pretty apt activity. I was all over the bed, trying to shove all four corners of the flat sheet underneath the heavy mattress. Bathed Gabriel and let Izzy play in the bath whilst I changed the sheets. I was all so sweaty when it was finally done.  I felt like I’ve accomplished much today. Go Bel! 
Gabriel was very unsettled in the evening. Maybe it’s because of the usual - Isabelle prancing and singing, thereby disturbing his beauty sleep. Becky, Tegan and I tried to do a video call today but wasn’t very successful.
We slept at 1ish. Small steps.


Day 9 - 9 Apr
Izzy and I woke up at 930am. Gabriel was so good. He slept from 1130pm all the way till 930am. Go Gabriel!! Ironically it was Izzy who woke me up at 630am asking for milk.  Zzzz...
ICA officers came to my door today. Followed by another call from another officer.  After my complaints, they gave me a number to call because clearly our names have been duplicated in their multiple lists!  On second thoughts, we are already on day 9.  Is it worth the hassle?
Did a video call with Gabby and Marketa around 5pm. While I was on the phone, Rachel ran a bath for Izzy to play in.  We are all loving Izzy’s bath activity for various reasons. 

Day 10 - 10 Apr
Breakfast was ham and cheese sandwiches with kueh dada (yums). With the usual pastries. Thank God I love pastries.
ICA representatives visited us at our hotel and we asked about our check out date- 14th or 15th Apr. One more day makes a difference for us. We couldn’t believe we were saying this but... we don’t wanna check out!! Loving life here at the Conrad.  We felt very safe and secure here.

Day 11 - 11 Apr
I got woken up by Izzy close to 10am. 5 missed calls from ICA.  Geez, eager much?  They KNOW we are in the hotel and we can’t run away.
Breakfast was sausages with scrambled eggs and the usual 3 pastries. Always a spread to start our day.
Random thing - while people are mostly pining for bubble tea, I miss MOS Burger’s Ice milk tea.
Hubby called. He was in the queue to get into Sainsbury’s. Later he told me the queue at See Woo Supermarket was impossible.  Situation in London doesn’t sound too good with people hoarding food and we are hearing about food shortages.
The hotel delivered our laundry today - always so efficient.
Suspect Gabriel is teething as he’s been crying and very unsettled. Lots of drool.
We are so sad we only have TWO more full days here at Conrad.

Day 12 - 12 Apr Easter Sunday 🐣 ✝️💟
Woke up at almost 10am again. Are we still having jetlag or is this a habit? To be fair I was up at 6am feeding Gabriel and then managed to sleep again.  Today is our second last full day here at Conrad. It’s bittersweet- obviously gonna miss the luxurious stay here but I think it’s time to get some help from the family. Talks about how to do our check out and plan logistics on Tuesday.  It’s Easter Sunday!
Watched the online praise and worship and had communion. Old hymns always get me hard - “Then Sings my Soul My Saviour Unto Thee, How Great Thou Art..” and my lips start to quiver. Oh Jesus thank You for saving us from the dumps. This virus is nothing for You. You will cast Your grace all upon the earth.. and soon we will be reunited with hubby/ daddy Ong.  Amen.
We had a surprise Easter lunch surprise! A special dessert box with choc eggs, cookie and cupcakes!
Afternoon was mostly spent trying to get Izzy to nap (yawn.. what’s new). 
Rachel helped to entertain Izzy by running her daily bath (by now!) and playing with her, while I pumped milk.
Dinner was fried rice with salmon in a laksa emulsion. It was not bad but we had fried rice for lunch and dinner so today was carbo day.
After dinner I tried to start packing by folding all our clothes and putting them into the luggage. Also emptied the cupboard as much possible. Rachel started to divide up our spoils - the jars of jam, Kagi snack bars, Nature Valley cereal bars. Gosh they all add up! (We’ve been keeping them after each meal; otherwise they get thrown away).

Day 13 - 13 Apr
For the first time ever we slept through the night!  I planned to have an earlier breakfast and enjoy the morning while the kids were asleep. After all it’s our second last morning!  Two ICA officers came whilst we were finishing breakfast and checked on us 3 as usual.
Thereafter received a call from ICA yet again, but this time it was our check-out call. He wanted to know if we were all feeling ok, any symptoms etc. I said no and he confirmed our check out tomorrow after 12pm. He asked us to wear masks for our own safety. He said there were too many unlinked cases and it’s not very safe outside. He then thanked us for our cooperation. What a lovely call I must say. I thanked him for the lovely stay in such a nice hotel.
This afternoon’s nap time was a very successful one. Izzy rolled around for barely 30min and she fell asleep. Gabriel was napping since 1pm or so. There was a thunderstorm outside, perfect for sleeping in. All was calm. It was great. I even managed to take a quick nap myself.  What’s going on?
I bathed Gabriel as he’s been so drooly and doesn’t smell the best. Tomorrow we shall be dressed in our best for our checkout.
Front desk Peggy called and went through our check out procedure tomorrow. Looks like I’ve chalked up some 11 bags of laundry service in our stay. Peggy is so nice, I told her we are like friends by now and I hope to say goodbye tomorrow. Gosh it feels so sad. Tried to do a bit more packing but really what’s left are mainly the essentials and Izzy’s toys.
Lights out at 1130pm.  Tomorrow we will be free.  
Was really tired from the hustle and had a feel-sorry-for-myself moment again. Wondered if K can survive two weeks with two kids like what I just did?

Day 14 - 14 Apr
I had to wake up earlier to finish packing. Feeling sad to say goodbye to this place - oh the irony. But it’s also time I get some help with the kids, I tell myself. Our last breakfast at Conrad was chwee kueh with the usual pastries. We sat down with Gabriel and took some shots. The first time I appear in any photos since arriving (since I have the “mom look” most of the time, nothing worth taking). Ran a bath for Izzy for the last time. Put Gabriel down for his nap.
I even took a video of our room for keepsake. Washed bottles, cleared everything, looked under the beds for Izzy’s toys. I know our families are excited for this to be over so we can be reunited.
Finally around 1pm I called the front desk to ask for the bellboy. We wore our masks. Gave Rachel a hug. She gave me and Izzy hugs. And we finally walked out of our hotel rooms for the first time. It felt surreal.

The lifts had temporary masking tape demarking four squares in each corner for social distancing.
Lobby. Everyone was wearing masks. Izzy was overwhelmed and started crying. 
They ushered us to the front desk to drop off our signed forms and in return they gave us a little souvenir to congratulate us. I finally met Peggy!! The lovely lady whom I kept asking stuff for. Love this bunch of folks- team Conrad really has been exceptional. They all wished us well, good health and to take care. It was a sad yet happy goodbye. 
A final goodbye and air hug. Izzy was still crying cos she was so overwhelmed.  We were well on our way to my aunts’ place. The roads were unbelievably quiet. Everywhere was closed- shops at Suntec, Marina Square, Millenia Walk etc. Wow this is the reality outside.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f