Skip to main content

Hello 2021, hello lockdown (again)


Happy New Year!  How has your January been?

Gosh it's been ages since my last post!  I've been meaning to blog about the children's birthdays back in December, our Christmas, our Kew Christmas light trail which we did on New Year's Day, but I just couldn't find any time to do so.  I thought it's perhaps more appropriate to blog about how our January have been so far, and then I'll backtrack and blog about the stuff mentioned above.

How life is like in London under Lockdown 3.0

As you probably know by now, we are now in the third national lockdown here in the UK.  I've mentioned this to many, but our lives have been consisting of endless lockdowns since last March.  I mean, I am beginning to forget how having a social life is like.  That said, the silver lining is that we are spending a lot of exclusive family time together, and K still works from home, so it is much easier to have another pair of eyes and hands around when I need it with the two kids.  More importantly, when he logs off, he can be with us pronto, and that means early dinners at 630pm, and we start the kids' bedtime routine around 8pm.  After their baths, changing into their PJs, doing a super intense moisturising session for Izzy for her eczema, AND bedtime story, they go to bed more like 9pm.  We used to put Izzy to bed religiously at 730pm but now with two kids somehow we are unable to stick to 730pm.  It's ok, because it means they wake up later, around 830am, so I ain't complaining.

Our groceries continue to be done via online orders and through our friendly Sainsbury's delivery drivers.  That said it is not easy to get immediate slots as they are very popular.  The last round I had to wait a week for the next slot.  So once in a while, I do pop into Lidl on our high street on my own, and I avoid using their baskets or trolleys.  I put all my shopping into my own carry bag.  Once I get home, I make sure I change out of my clothes immediately and if possible hop straight into the shower.  You just don't know, and with all the scaremongering news, you do feel like Covid is everywhere in the shops and supermarkets.  That said, the other day I noticed the cashiers in M&S did not wear any masks or face coverings.  So brave, I thought.  Especially when I spotted this lady queueing up near me wearing a pair of disposable gloves doing her shopping.  

Any other shopping is also done online, such as Amazon, although their deliveries aren't as reliable as before.  I ordered some multi vitamins last Sunday and a week later they are still "on their way"!

Our rubbish bins are collected and emptied every Tuesday morning, so every Monday evening, we have to pull out our bins and place them right at the front of the house for their collection the next day.  The other day I saw a FB post by our local council, asking residents to be patient if the bins don't get emptied because many of the bin men are down with Covid, or self isolating.  I suspect it's the same with Amazon drivers, hence my very late delivery.  Thankfully so far our bin collection has been prompt with no delays.

Schools are all closed with the exception of nurseries and childminder settings.  I have no idea why, but we will take that, because well... we really find that Izzy thrives at the childminder's, being able to interact with friends and she comes home really happy, always telling us what she did on that day with her friends.  She goes for 2.5 days a week and I be honest to say I relish in those days because that's when I can take a bit of a break.  It's always very intense with her around and I am constantly exhausted, trying to find things to occupy her time, keep her entertained besides letting her watch Peppa Pig on TV.  And bearing in mind I need to squeeze in time to prep and cook meals for everybody, do the laundry and clean up the kitchen.  Her childminder's business has been badly affected by Covid, as families moved out of London with parents losing their jobs.  She keeps her setting clean too, so we have been pretty comfortable sending Izzy there....

Until I received an email and a follow up phone call last Sunday, informing us that there was a positive case in one of the younger kids there and Izzy was in close contact.  My heart really sank and I was so anxious.  My worst fear has happened.  We were asked to keep her at home for 10 days to quarantine, and if anybody develops symptoms, we need to do a test, and then self isolate some more.  So this difficult and anxious week has passed and I really thank God, she is fine, everyone is fine.  We have been praying together and taking the holy communion as a family too, which really helps to calm my nerves because as I tell K, "Really, there is NOTHING we can do right now except to trust in God and His divine protection."  

So other than sending Izzy to the childminder's and the occasional supermarket quick trips, we are all staying home and spending time as a family.  I'm grateful we have the space so it doesn't feel claustrophobic.  Thank God that two weeks ago, I ordered some craft stuff for Izzy on a whim, not knowing she would be doing quarantine at home.  So these days it's been a few crafty afternoons with her whilst Gabriel naps.  We have also been using her easel whiteboard a lot so she uses it to write, draw, doodle and teach her imaginary students in the form of her soft toys.


Pictures of our January so far

Gabriel is officially walking and he's busy tottering around the house proudly.
Except that when I put his shoes on and brought him out in the garden - he froze and couldn't move.  Shoes was another obstacle for him - he wailed when we put shoes on for him lol this was the first time he didn't cry.

We took down our Christmas tree on the second weekend of January

So lovely to see them playing happily with each other

Set this up for them the other day as I was prepping lunch and needed some peace


Teaching her students

One day Gabriel... one day we will be able to go out when its safe

Getting some fresh air in the garden when we spotted this streak of rainbow colours

This boy is in love with this lil pillow sewn by his great grandma.  
Nevermind the girly cloth.  He absolutely needs it to fall asleep!

Izzy keeps telling me "I want to be a princess!"

Watching Frozen in freezing temperatures.  The love for Elsa has started!

Painting a unicorn money bank

So focussed

Painting a wooden plane which we've named Izzy-jet!


Drawing lots of potato heads

Her cute doodles


Izzy and I made some homemade pizzas using tortilla wraps on one Sunday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f