Skip to main content

Bluebells in April

I love bluebells in case you haven't already known ;)  My friend Gabby reckons it's because it has 'bel' in it.  It is also the surest sign of spring when you start to see blankets of purplish blue appear in the woods.  I get an indication when I see a few pop up in our garden - no idea how they got here but happy to have them!

I started researching on the best places around us to see bluebells and in past years we had been to a few places, one of which was Emmetts Gardens in Sevenoaks, Kent.  This to me was one of the best places to see bluebells.  Another place on my list was Riverhill Himalayan Gardens, also in Sevenoaks and so I proposed to visit it this year for the bluebells.  These are paid entry places although if you do come across some ancient woodland you probably can see them for free.  Problem is, I don't know any ancient woodland around our place that has big patches of these beauties.

Riverhill Himalayan Gardens

We ventured into the woodland section in search of the bluebells.  There was also a garden part which we would visit afterwards.  It was also the bluebell festival ongoing that weekend so you can be sure everyone went there for the bluebells.

 

The woodland area was so steep we couldn't bring our pushchair up with us.  K groaned and whined whilst pushing our chunky bear uphill.  Eventually we decided to let Gabriel walk and leave the pushchair at the foot of the hill.  It was also more fun for Gabriel to walk and explore!  He loves picking stones and gravel as we soon found out.  Izzy on the other hand was busy looking for sticks to make a fire.

 

They even had a "yeti" hiding in the trees for kids to find.  A bit scary in my view to see a white figure floating amongst the trees haha but yes we found it and he waved to the kids from behind the trees, because social distancing.  Even yetis are not spared from Covid19 you know.

 
Pictures taken, I was one happy Bel.  The kids played at the playground for a little before we went downhill towards the garden section.  I always love to wander into the garden shop of such places to see plants and other cute stuff.  Too bad we missed the Bluebell Craft Fair as I didn't know they closed an hour earlier than the gardens.  We hung around and the kids played on the boat swing.






Emmetts Gardens

This drive was worth it!
I was one greedy Bel this year in my quest for bluebells.  I contemplated on bringing the kids by myself to Emmetts Gardens on a weekday morning, before Izzy's school.  I follow all these places of my interest on social media and so I know when they are still in bloom, and if it is a good time to go.  I knew that if I didn't go soon, with the bad weather forecast for that week, the bluebells won't be waiting for me.  So it's now or never.  I gamely bought a timed entry ticket for the Wednesday after our Riverhill outing.  K laughed and said I was a bit mad, but since he's not involved in the driving, he's happy to let me decide if I wanna go.  "Yes I'll do it!" I said.  So we had a quick breakfast and I put two kids in the back of the car and off I went.  The drive was smooth and it took me about 40-45min to get there.  Towards the end where it was small country lanes, I started to get nervous especially when there is another vehicle following me closely behind.

We got there safely, though a little later than I hoped but it's ok.  Izzy took a copy of the map and we followed the trail.  Woweee when we saw a glimpse of the bluebells, a silent nod of "yes" went off in me.  This was the right place to come.  It's beautiful.  It was a weekday morning and so it was quiet.  The only people we saw were retired people - couples, friends all here to admire the same thing.  We all nodded, smiled and said good morning to one another politely.  Many smiled at the kids and said hi.

 

We had to leave after 1.5h to drive back to London as Izzy's school was to start at 1230pm.  A bit of a rush!  I gave them sandwiches to eat in the back of the car whilst I drove.  A bit of heart palpitation as I was worried she would be late for school, but whew!  We got there just in time.  Very glad I did this little morning trip with the kids with lovely memories captured in my camera.





Looks at map and says "we found it!"


A stunning tree


Comments

Doreen said…
Nice photos n wow so much beautiful bluebells.

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f