Skip to main content

Happy New Year! What have we been up to?

Happy New Year everyone!  Am I still allowed to say that?  I guess so as it is still January ;)



So much happened in the month of December that I didn't have time to sit down to blog even though there were so many evenings I contemplated to... and the idea of Netflix or just sleeping early lured me away from this blog.

Izzy's handmade card which she did in school


Tonight I'm doing a catch up of what we did on the lead up to Christmas and the kids' birthdays.

We planned a plethora of Christmas-related activities for the kids.  I guess the FOMO Bel in me was the driving force for them.  It was a bit crazy if you see our list below.  Also for some reason we crammed most of them in the first 2 weeks of December, which looking back was by God's grace.  More on that later.

Here is my recap!

Santa's Grotto at Bluewater - Thinking that we didn't sign up for any Santa's Grotto for the kids this year, I eagerly booked this and told K that I would drive the kids there myself on 1 Dec.

With the elves

This year's Christmas ornament

Craft time with Make Box - I actually won a free crafting session with the owner of MakeBox, together with 6 other ladies, without having signing up for it.  How cool was that?!

With Hannah, the founder of MakeBox Crafts

Trying decoupage for the first time.  We were making wooden houses.


Christmas Singalong at Blackheath Halls - We attended this with our friends which when I posted it on Instagram after the the session, friends back home in Singapore sent me messages about "Oh wow you can sing in public!"  Singing in public is not allowed in Singapore apparently.  I think they would faint if I showed them the crowd in that enclosed hall that afternoon.


Santa Meet-and-Greet at Ikea - We went to get our Christmas tree, and we actually walked into a free pantomime and Meet and greet Santa at Ikea.  That was a nice surprise.  Not only that, the kids had a build-your-gingerbread-house session too.  That one was very tricky which I thought I'd enjoy, but I didn't.

  


Izzy's nativity play - this was a school event and we knew the teachers and students have been practising very hard for this!  I was so pumped up for this because we were so looking forward to seeing Izzy perform with her classmates.  It was held at the church affiliated to their school.  They sung a medley of songs telling the nativity story which was very sweet to watch.  Naturally we were beaming with pride and even Gabriel kept pointing and shouting "Izzy!  Izzy!"  Izzy too, was very happy to see us and kept waving to us.

Proud lil brother

  


Crystal Palace Light Trail - this was the first event that we booked, and everything else fell around it.  We met our friends for this light trail, which unfortunately was branded as a disaster by K and me.  It was 1degC that night and we were ill prepared for the cold.  It being our first night event this winter, we forgot how cold it could get.  Izzy was crying because her toes were freezing and Gabriel soon followed.  Because the trail was a circular loop, we couldn't just turn back to the car.  We had to power through with two crying kids (bless them, I felt so bad and so sorry for them) to complete the trail in 90min.  Naturally we barely took photos.  The kids were so happy when we got back to our warm and toasty home.

  

Christmas at Blenheim Palace - I really didn't plan for this... until a visiting friend from Singapore told me about it, and I googled to have a look... gasp - how beautiful did it look!  I showed K and he immediately said "let's book!"  Ahem- FOMO spirits strong.  This was in Oxford, which meant a 2h drive each way at minimum.  We contemplated booking a night at Travel Lodge but then decided we would both power through with the driving by taking turns.

 


Hosting dinner for mummy Bel's primary school friend Jean!  Wow this was a pleasant surprise.  Jean reached out in November saying that she and her family were visiting UK in December and asked for some tips.. after lengthy conversations, I invited them over for dinner and we got to meet her lovely family.  It was very sweet to see the older girls play with Izzy and guess what?  Jean and I haven't met each other since we left primary school!  It was a pretty awesome reunion if you ask me.


Putting up our tree - our little annual tree lighting event with Izzy putting on the tree topper.  I'd imagine Gabriel fighting over to do that next year when he understands it a bit more.

  


Driving into Central London for the Christmas lights - this is the second year which Daddy Ong suggested doing this.  Bless him, he volunteered to be our tour guide and planned an itinerary on where to bring us to see the beautiful Christmas lights.  He literally stopped and parked somewhere, and mummy Bel would bring the kids out for a little walk, take some photos and hop back into the car.  Like a Hop On/ Hop Off tourist bus.  At the end of the night after a 3-4h tour, both mummy and daddy were exhausted.

  


Gosh looking back and typing all these activities out, yes I did think we were crazy to do so many activities but the motivation behind it was very strong.  We knew why we were cramming at least 3 Christmases worth of activities into one December.  Obviously the kids had a ball and the best fun with December being their favourite month.  Even for me, where Christmas has always been my favourite season.  Now as a parent with not one but TWO Christmas babies, it is a lot of fun planning activities and bringing in Christmas traditions for the family.  Expensive too ;) Gotta start saving up from September is what we always say.

I'll blog about their birthdays next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f