Skip to main content

Happy 2023! Back from a year of silence :)

Happy New Year!!

I am surprised if anyone is still checking in on this dormant blog, but I thought I'd come back to round up our 2022.  If you didn't already know, 2022 was the year of huge change for us as a family, and even more so on a personal level.  We relocated back to Singapore at the end of March 2022.  The months leading up to the move was, well, stressful and very emotional for me.  I couldn't find any capacity within me to blog about anything.  It's been 9 months now and things are more settled.  I've also started working in a full time role, and being thrown straight into a fast paced corporate world has mostly left me breathless this past year with no time for anything else.


Arriving at Changi Airport

Cheerful kids

I last blogged about the kids' birthdays at the end of 2022 and how time has flown pass - in the twinkling of eye and between two blog posts, the kids' celebrated their birthdays once more.  Isabelle turned 5 and Gabriel turned 3 this past Christmas.

I endeavour to round up 2022 on a monthly basis, mainly for me to read about it in time gone by.  To allow me to reminisce back on lovely memories.  We did try to squeeze as much possible in our last few months in the UK.  The spirit of FOMO was very evident in our family.  In fact last Christmas we squeezed in way too much Christmassy events in.  Not complaining though because I'm glad we did!

We did a steam train experience in the countryside the weekend before we flew out


And stumbling upon this outdoor garden play area in our fav park

I did some (emo) walks in our fav parks on my own before we left

So glad to be greeted by daffodils in Springtime before we left

This move back was actually a long time coming, something which I have been trying to postpone it as long as I could with all my might, trust me.  I was very comfortable in my life there and well within my comfort zone after spending 14 years in London.  A lot of friends and colleagues ask what do I love about the UK.  Well, let me count thy ways...

I loved our lifestyle there, weather included.  Nope I'm not mad even though London is mostly cold, wet and grey.  I totally love a seasonable temperate climate as compared to the tropics.  Sadly the sun is not my best friend.  Layering up in the cold?  No problem.  Layering the kids up?  Not a chore at all.  I love dressing them up.  I adored the freedom and space we got to enjoy there.  I have never been a hug-and-hang'out-with-all-the-extended-family kind of person.  I thrive in stillness and peace.  (Introvert Bel) I loved that we could hop on the Eurotunnel train and we could be in France in 30min and can drive wherever we wanted to explore.  I love the fresh produce in the supermarkets there.  I enjoyed driving in our part of town and the freedom it gave me, even though they were mostly supermarket runs, or mini shopping trips to my fav Bluewater Shopping Centre.  I enjoyed exploring the various places out in the country, mainly in Kent because it is beautiful, or further out in the Cotswolds or Lake District.  

This experience has also taught me gratitude and gratefulness.  I knew deep down in my heart that this was a temporal thing, and I learnt to wake up every day feeling grateful.  Especially the counting down days.  I wake up super grateful for one more day.  One more day in the house that we made it our home.  One more day of cool weather.  One more day of enjoying the nearby park with the kids.  One more day of enjoying the flowers blooming in the garden.  This much treasured chapter in my life will always remain etched in a special part of my heart, and I shall forever be grateful I had that chance.  That said, never say never because we won't know what the future holds ;)

I tried to keep upbeat and made it as fun as possible for the kids in our last few weeks there


Of course, we had our own cons too, for staying there by ourselves.  There was no family support to help with our two young kids.  Childcare is very expensive.  Taxes are also incredibly high over there.  It's a welfare state so it is very different from the Singapore system.  For these main reasons, K felt strongly that we should move back to Singapore.  And it so happened that I received a job offer in January and things just moved so quickly from then on.  Personally I took it as a sign from God especially I had not been working for almost 3 years, and to get this role was very much a blessing.

Our stuff - 42 boxes in total

I was holding tears back seeing all our stuff bundled up into this move cube


We started packing up in March and it took a lot out of me.  Looking back I couldn't believe we packed up a four bedroom house and sorted out everything.  It made me endeavour to be a minimalist when we moved back.  (Call me Marie Kondo).  We found a kindergarten/ child-care 5min walk from my in laws' place that was perfect for the kids and it then took a couple of weeks for the kids to get used to it.  Chinese was Isabelle's main gripe because she couldn't understand what the teacher was talking about.  Gabriel, however, struggled with the long hours there (8am-530pm); he was with me most of the time in London, so bless him, this was a completely new thing for him.  And Chinese too.  

Cheeky kids

School excursion to the zoo

Learning about the world.  
Her teacher told me Izzy loves art n craft.  Just like mummy :)

Back to her roots - Izzy did this for her class' Current Affairs Show and Tell

For me, I had to adapt staying with my in laws, say goodbye to personal space, get used to the weather again, and most importantly, get used to being a full time working mum and boy this is hard.  It's such a constant struggle.  I have to always remind myself that my family is my priority.  The working culture tries to change that, and I feel like I'm constantly going against the tide.  It's tiring. But I've got good team mates.  I always joke that I'm hanging out with the Gen Z's now.  It's cool, I like seeing how they think and the things young people do these days.  It's pretty insightful.

To be honest, I am still trying to process it all.  To close a 14 year chapter of my life isn't an overnight thing.  And I realise that not many people understand that, because they think that I am just moving home, so what's the big deal.  For me, I take baby steps.  I try to be kind to myself.  I take on crafting as an outlet.  I am learning to put both feet here in Singapore (no more looking back), since this is the decision we made as a family.  For now, I will make yearly trips back there, to meet up with friends and just enjoy what I miss there.  It's the reverse now.  I used to make yearly trips back to Singapore.  Now I make yearly trips back.  And pray that time will heal my heart completely.

Please don't get me wrong.  I'm not all weepy Bel here all the time.  Of course we have had fun filled moments too since we landed 9 months ago.

Izzy has taken a love to the water

Flowers and Cafe = Mummy's fav

New toothbrushes from grandpa

Meeting a familiar face in summer

We also did two hotel staycation thanks to my company's corporate rate


For this brand new year, I pray for
  • Stability and strength.  
  • To move into our own place, to create a place to call home like we did in London
  • Seek new ways to feel more grounded here.  Find new friends in a similar stage of life, rekindle old friendships..
  • Health for all
  • And the wisdom to juggle my time between work and family.
Let 2023 be a good one!

Comments

Doreen said…
O yes I have been checking on your blog quite often. So happy to see you updating your blog again. Welcome home and we are so glad to be able to see you and your family more often now especially to talk to Isabelle and Gabriel. They are so cute and so intelligent. Good to have you all around to brighten up our days.
Gcroft said…
Good luck settling into the familiar yet by the same token, unfamiliar. Take it day by day, the here and now.

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f