Skip to main content

France Summer Road Trip | Reims

Finally I am concluding our France roadtrip.  This will be the second last post on our trip.  Thanks for following me so far!  

Finally after 3 full days of fun, we left on a Disney high, driving towards the champagne region of France.  It was about a 2h drive to Reims, which is the main city in this region.  I booked an apartment in a quieter neighbourhood which faces a basketball court where we saw the local kids play.  There was also a Carrefour 5 minutes away - handy!  

Checking in.  The garage that came with it was pretty unforgettable.  The old apartment block has garages but they were extremely tiny and the drive up the spiral pavement was pretty nerve wrecking.  I had to come out and guide K in maneuvering our car, or else I'm pretty sure we would be scratching it on the sides.  It was really nail biting.  By the time we brought our luggage out and went into the apartment, which by the way was really beautiful and well furnished, K said we have to take public transport for the next 1.5 days we were there because it was simply too stressful to bring the car out and then back in.  I agreed.  I wouldn't be able to handle that myself either.

The owner who waited patiently for us to travel from Disneyland was a lovely French lady in her 60s who didn't speak much English.  It was a lot of hand signs/gestures and a few attempts at Google Translate.  Seriously to think that I did take basic French lessons for quite some time, and I've conveniently forgotten even the most basic words - duh.  We decided to take it slow that  night and stay in for a takeaway dinner.  Looking through Deliveroo, the most "comfort" food that we could recognise was KFC (K is a massive fan of their hot wings!).  I figured I had to do a laundry load that night too, since we were checking out two days later and I needed time for the clothes to dry.

Reims Cathedrale Opera

The next morning we started our day by taking the tram to the city centre and visited the grand Cathedrale Opera.  We were blown away by the size of this cathedral.  We went inside and the kids ran amok as usual, amongst the pews.  The stained glass was beautiful and K lighted a candle too, out of respect and also to give thanks for such a smooth trip thus far.  Took quite a few photos here.



Look at the size.  I couldn't fit everything into the photo, just the facade.


Gabriel looked so dirty here!  You wouldn't imagine but the kids were running around chasing each other on this pavement, at times sitting and rolling on the ground OMG

 

We had lunch at another familiar place - PAUL, before setting off for our first champagne tour!  We took the advice of the tourism office to visit the Pommery champagne house that afternoon.  Too bad, Veuve Cliquot was closed that day.  See most champagne houses require a prebooking of their tours but Pommery is probably the only one that does not require any, because you do the walking tour by yourself.  You can do the tour in their underground cellar with the help of an audio guide or a leaflet.  Silly us, we actually chose the leaflet.  Which was pretty useless in the dark underground.  Why is it an option?

  
The bus stopped at the gates of this sprawling estate

Beautiful place

The entrance to the house

Bravely entering the cellar

Excited at seeing the steps, not knowing what's to come

Underground cellar

Almost impossible to read our leaflet

Bottles of champagne

Both refusing the climb back up the stairs.  Help!

It was 106 steps down and the kids were scared of this deep, dark place.  Izzy kept asking us where the dragon was, and Gabriel kept crying and begging me to carry him.  Izzy too, kept asking K to carry her.  Poor us, we literally walked through the cellar, kids in arms, without looking too much at what was around us.  Finally we emerged from the same wooden doors, still with two kids in our arms, ready for our complimentary glass of champagne and sit down for a break.  The waiter was also kind enough to pour the kids some grape juice, and they were so happy to be able to "cheers" with us.  Cheers, cheers!

The big wooden doors

Mmm let me smell it

Let me taste it

Let me finish it!

Baby shower ideas


Finally after the tour we went back to the city centre and K wanted to drop by Carrefour on the way home to prepare a home cooked dinner that evening. 

Reims city centre

Kids were exhausted.  So were we.

We saw many randomly placed Covid testing tents throughout our trip


Comments

Doreen said…
The cellar was quite dark n the kids were afraid. Gabriel was so cute, drinking juice like wine tasting. Smell then drink n drink it up.

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f